top of page
WEBSITE FilhemS Logo, FilhemS logo w tagline, FilhemW Logo (2).png

How to Properly Mix and Match Furniture Styles

Combining different periods and styles may appear to be a difficult task. Most people are intimidated by the challenge. It's a risk, but it's also a risk with a huge payoff. When done right, the blend creates a one-of-a-kind style that you won't see in other people's houses. Below are a few tips on how to get you started blending furniture styles properly.

1. Decide on a Theme

Using a shared theme is one approach to bringing together diverse furniture designs. For instance, if you live in the city but want to make it look like you’re in a mountain cabin, then you could begin gathering items that fit the concept, such as a vintage bed, artwork with beautiful images of mountain landscapes, or wild animals, wood coffee tables, area rugs, table lampshades, and throw blankets. Envisioning a theme might help you select your main furniture from a wide array of styles.


2. Allow One Style to Predominate

Traditional and modern decor are vastly different. That's why allowing one style to dominate the area is crucial to making the combination work. Choose the style that best suits your area and let it guide your furniture choices. Then you may incorporate a few elements from the other design. Make sure the primary style uses 80 percent of the room, while the alternate style occupies the remaining 20 percent. As a result, you'll either have a classic area with modern touches or a modernized design with traditional elements.


3. Use a Simple Color Scheme

Limiting the color palette is the easiest method to guarantee that your area looks cohesive, even if it has a diversity of styles. By using a neutral palette, your pieces will be less likely to compete with one another. If you have a classic couch and desire an armchair with a more modern style, then keeping them similar in tone or color can help tie them together. You could always add a tiny dash of color to a neutral scheme, such as greenery and flowers, or a coat of vibrant paint on classic items to make them feel modern and trendy.


4. Use Complimentary Colors and Subtle Patterns

Color is the most powerful unifier, able to bring practically any shape or style together. You can mix and match different colors to create an appealing combination. If you have a brightly-colored couch or chair, add accessories like a piece of art or a vase of hues of the same color. Choose subtle patterns so that the room doesn't appear overly crowded. Look for strong geometric and repeating florals, as well as dramatic, graphic black and white stripes. Animal print is another excellent design that can bring interest and fun to almost any décor. To achieve a coherent look, just combine the patterns of an area rug with throws, pillows, or curtains.


5. Create Visual Balance

It's important to consider scale while arranging furniture. Scale refers to how design elements relate to each other inside a room. As a general guideline, a larger space may accommodate greater-scale furnishings and design, and vice versa. It is the major piece of furniture in the room that establishes the scale for the rest of the furnishings. An overstuffed sofa and a tiny side table, for example, may appear absurd when placed next to one another. You can have a floor lamp or plant that rises above the sofa instead. Also, organize small things and accessories into harmonious groups to provide an attractive display.


6. Use Repetition

Repetition is one of the finest methods to blend furniture designs. By repeating elements with similar colors, shapes, and textures, you can create a sense of uniformity. If you have a curved table, for instance, consider adding curvy chairs, rounded light fixtures, or a rug with fish-scale patterns. You can also combine complementary colors and materials throughout the area to produce overall coherence.


7. Balance Different Materials

Fusing interesting textures is a great way to improve your home decor style. Simple and subtle contrasts, such as wood and metal, complement each other and create a marvelous union in your interior design. You can pair a wood dining table with metal chairs to add variety and excitement to your space. Remember to go beyond the obvious fabric areas like couches and armchairs, and don't forget about curtains, blinds, and lampshades. A linen couch, for example, may go from cotton and silk cushions in the summer to velvet and faux fur in the winter.


Need our help?


Start an online design consultation with us today and get interactive digital room designs sent directly to your inbox. Click here to learn more!

Comments


bottom of page